Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Defend Yourself Challenge: Sarah's Post

Hi everyone, here I am with today's CTM post for our challenge. Once again, if you don't know about the challenge that is going on here, take a look at THIS post.
Before I show you Sarah's wonderful layout, I would like to take a few lines to say thank you to all who have participated on our challenge so far. The entries have been amazing!!!

And now to our inspiration for today. Sarah is our "simple and clean" scrapper. We love her for that. She is always showing us that a page with one single element can be just as powerful and emotional as any other that has a hundred.
Here is Sarah's entry:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's no secret that I'm the plain Jane of ViVa land. I know Vanessa and Vivienne spend hours selecting, extracting, designing and whatever it is they do to come up with gorgeous chock-full of yummy elements kits, only for me to annoyingly select two or three papers and one or two elements and put down a super simple page. Really, I wonder why they let me hang around at times. It must be because I'm so good-looking. But I want to share a secret about myself. I want to write. I loved to read as a child (still do) and loved to write stories. I still have some stories that I wrote in Year 3, which I made up into little bound books. Now real life stepped in, and I found you need regular money to pay bills, so while I still harbour a very real wish to write children's books, the likelihood of me becoming a best-selling author is slim to none really.

Then I found scrapbooking. When I started paper scrapping, I cut my pictures into pretty shapes, stuck random stickers all over the place and called it done. When I had my first baby, I found I wanted to record more information on my pages. Restricted by my scratchy handwriting and scared by the permanency of paper scrapping, I turned to my humble PC to type up my journalling, ready to print and stick on my pages. It wasn't long before I stumbled across Digital Scrapbooking online, and my eyes were opened to the endless possiblities of style, composition, products...I realised I now had no restraints. So what do I do? I develop a clean and simple, usually blocked style, haha. See, with all the open-ended possibilities in scrapping, I'm your conformist. And I am happy because that's what I love! My most special pages are those that begin with an important memory or emotion. Sometimes with a photo, sometimes not. I have sat in front of photoshop, and I have cried and laughed my way through many important turns in my life, recording as I go.

See? I became a writer after all.

Let me show you some of my simple stuff:

{nan's letters} using stuff from ViVa Artistry
After my darling Nana passed away, I turned to scrap therapy. Has anyone not done this? If you haven't, give it a go! My journalling reads:
To my dear Nanna,
I wonder if you know how much joy your letters and birthday cards brought me. How reading the words “To Our Darling Grandaughter” made me feel so loved and special. Not long after you died, I found the letter you wrote, congratulating us on the birth of Owen. and sending a cheque so we could buy a gift “some singlets or something” for him. I haven’t put it away yet. I read it often, when I’m changing Owen or having a cuddle. Looking at your handwriting reminds me of the day we were side by side in the back of the car, you stroked my young hand with your soft, ageing one and reminded me to look after my hands, and my kneck. I hope you know that in all the legacy you have left me, I will maitain these: handcream and writing letters.
With all my love,
your darling grandaughter


{measure} using Motherhood by ViVa Artistry
aaah, sometimes when things are messing with my head I write. I was feeling overwhelmed by mother guilt and the competetive craziness that goes on between mothers at times. Hmm familiar theme.

Anyway, so this is how I like to scrap. That's just me. But ultimately I love anything that conveys emotion. I appreciate technical feats of awesomeness- especially extractions because I'm awful at them. I long ago got over the fact that compared to lots of other scrappers, I don't get a whole lot of comments in the galleries. But hey, I do what is meaningful to me and to my family. I suggest you ignore whatever rules might be going down in scrapland at the moment, and go with whatever is meaningful to you, too.

And happy scrapping.

__________________________

Pretty stunning no?
I'll be back tomorrow with some more inspiration from our CTM ;)
Hugs.
Vanessa

7 comments:

Eryn said...

You are a fabulous scrapper Sarah and your journalling is always so beautiful! And don't give up your dream!

sunnie2004 said...

I love your work Sarah!!

Chris said...

These are great pages of yours!
The number count in the gallery is really meaningless, and the amount of work that goes through each day is so vast it's impossible for the others to stop and smile at each one. We have to rely on our inner satisfaction that what we do is meaningful to us alone, and if we're lucky, a few family members and friends to appreciate and encourage us to keep going.
Keep up the good work, and keep your hands soft for your writing!

Lime said...

NOW, I am excited! The best scrap pages I have seen in a good long while! I'm going to try to find Sarah's LOs at the store gallery and I will be heartbroken if her user name isn't Sarah.

I have a couple of WWII era scrap books here - one by my dad, and one done by maybe his dad, or perhaps a cousin? There are not many words, and hardly any of the people are tagged. I want to cry every time I open it because I know the people and events were important to them, but I don't know what I'm looking at.

ViVa Artistry is: said...

Lime, her username on galleries is sascedar.

here's her TDC gallery: http://www.thedigichick.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=13476

and her DST gallery: http://www.digishoptalk.com/gallery/search.php?searchid=350011

enjoy!

orachel said...

Right On, Miss Sarah! Amazing journaling. I'm sitting here with tears over the Nana Handcream thing. My poor mother always had to work so hard as a single artistic mom, and her hands always looked so old and ravaged. She used to make me promise to take care of mine, too. Amazing layouts. Gorgeous in their simplicity, and elegant in emotions that they express. My emotional stuff pours out of me in a viscous flood of elements and extraneous brouhaha...Yours streams out in a clear concise brilliance that cuts to the core of things. I'm highly impressed.

big hugs~
orachel

Karli-Marie said...

Stunning work! There's nothing simple about the emotions that you convey with your art.

I absolutely understand where you're coming from. I too have always dreamed of being a writer, but the forces of the world at large (and within myself) have prevented me from fulfilling that dream.

I love writing from my heart and being able to tie it altogether within a layout, but I often found myself caught up in cluster land. Your work is so inspiring to me. I need to write more! Thanks for the reminder!

By the by, I absolutely understand what you mean when you said "sometimes when things are messing with my head I write" For me, the biggest decisions and life issues I have cannot become real until I can put them down on paper. I am forced to confront them, and suddenly I am able to start working through them, or gaining closure on them.

Thanks so much for sharing!!