Thursday, May 27, 2010

Defend Yourself Challenge: Eryn's Post

Hello everyone. Here we are again with even more amazing inspiration from our CTM. Remember, tomorrow is the last day of our challenge. If you are interested in voicing your opinion and share with us your thoughts, please check out THIS thread.
Today, we have two outstanding pages by our girl Eryn. They are so different, yet so wonderful in their own way. Hope you enjoy it.

Here is what Eryn had to say:

_________________________________________


I consider myself an all-rounder when it comes to scrapping styles. Whatever style best suits the ideas running through my head is what I will use to scrap it. I love that I can change styles as I change my mood and theme.



This is a LO I made recently entitled 'Motherhood'. Now don't get me wrong, I love my role as a mother and I love my family, bet there are aspects of it that sometimes drive me nuts. When I made this page, I had visions of all four kids talking to me at once, all asking me to do something or listen to them. At times I definitely feel like I am being pulled in all different directions and so all the 'arms' reflect this.
I placed myself in a cage, bound by a skipping rope, as I often feel trapped by my role as a mother. I am trapped financially, I am trapped in that I can't leave the house by myself, I am trapped into a routine of school and lunchtime and bedtimes, and while generally this doesn't bother me and it is the role I chose, it can still get me a little down at times.
Now I could have made this a journalling page, but I wasn't ready to write it down. I didn't even consider using real photos of my kids, as it's not them I was upset at. Making this altered page allowed me to express my feelings using symbols instead of words and photos and it was a great release.



In complete contrast is this page I made about my 'dislike' of storms. I could have used a real photo of my house, but that would have taken away from the page as the theme isn't the house itself. The real story behind this LO is me wanting to feel safe becasue of my fear of storms. The house element symbolises my safety, my comfort zone, while the abundance of white space emphasises my fear and symbolises my insignificance and helplessness against nature.

Although both pages look completely different and use contrasting styles, they are both out of the norm due to the absence of photos and the use of symbolism. But I don't think I could have scrapped these pages any better. TFL!

_____________________________________

Hugs and Love,
Vanessa and Vivienne

11 comments:

Tara said...

Ohhhhhhhh my gawd Eryn! You have me sitting here with tears rolling down my cheeks. Seriously girl, you hit the nail on the head and you just expressed what motherhood does to a Mum so perfectly on that page. WOW! And your second page is just as brilliant too. I am the same, absolutely petrified of storms. The thunder makes me cry and the lightning makes me think someone is standing out the window with each flash. LOL! I am such a big baby but I just cannot shake that feeling. LOL!

You are just simply AMAZING girl and such a great inspiration! 2 thumbs up!!!

Hugs & Kisses,
Tara

Hollie Haradon said...

Awesome post, Eryn. I think you totally hit the nail on the head with your pages. It's not the actual people/things that are the problem but the ideas that you struggle with. I love that you used symbolism instead of actual...way more powerful and doesn't take away from the message.

orachel said...

Eryn...wow...I'd not seen either of these pieces before and they're both utterly outstanding, and totally emotionally evocative in their own way. The motherhood page....Yowza. I'm not a mommy (was a devoted stepmom for a while, so I know what it is to LOVE them to pieces but just need 2 seconds without someone yanking on ya! lol), but I can absolutely still feel the stifled penned in feeling roiling off that gorgeous page. The whole piece is fabulous, but the alpha work is particularly outstanding. Art like THIS is why, imo, you'll be a better example for your kids than those moms who never take two minutes for themselves or have any sort of self image apart from their mommyhood. Its called reality...trying to be June Cleaver has nothing to do with how much you love your kids. Awesome artwork, great message...if more moms followed in your creative footsteps to express (and work thru!) occasional overwhelmed frazzlement, we'd probably have less moms zonked out with narcotic pain killer habits here in the states. Love the storm page, too. I especially am agog at how well you're using your pages at emotional catharsis, for any number of situations. Inspirational, definitely!!! Rawk on, lady!

joannknnrd said...

Eryn, I so relate to everything you said. Not just about scrapping(which I am all over the page with too) but motherhood...how can something so wonderful be so challenging at the same time???

Wonderful post!

JoAnn

Karli-Marie said...

First of all, beautiful work! Very inspirational pieces, they really get your wheels turning :)

I am so with you on the varying styles. Sometimes I think it is the downfall of my work, but other times I think that it's what keeps my work fresh.

I don't know that I will ever have a set style, and you know what, that's fine by me! I don't need a style to define me, or my work! lol.

Miss Behaving said...

oh Eryn, I am absolutely in love with your first layout. It ties in so perfectly to the way I feel sometimes. You feel obligated and you don't want to, but you can't help it. Sometimes, I just wanna lock myself in my room just so I don'to hafta hear ... "mommy, mommy ..." LOL

It's a powerful statement and it resonates with me strongly.

I love the second layout as well. It's beautifully done and I love the journaling you did with it. So creative and unique.

Fabulous post!!!

Karin said...

I already commented on the first one when I first it at DS. It really does encapsulate motherhood on some days.

I love all the white space on the second one and the visual of isolation. I personally love storms but I totally get your feeling about them from your page.

Kudos for getting your feelings on the page and having others share that with you.

韋于倫成 said...

仇恨是一把雙刃劍,傷了別人,也傷了自己.........................

韋于倫成 said...

知識可以傳授,智慧卻不行。每個人必須成為他自己。.........................

sascedar said...

eryn you know i love your versatility in scrapping! i love how you can create a visually inspiring piece, and then turn around and make me cry with some powerful journalling on a c&s page. i'm inspired by the way you do what comes from within and don't worry about fitting a mold!

Trudi Sissons - Two Dresses Studio said...

Wonderfu, artistic expression of the double edged sword and fine balance we as mothers are always challenged to find.